Re: Emacs/Mutt and Efail or OpenPGP is safer than S/MIME?

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: Emacs/Mutt and Efail or OpenPGP is safer than S/MIME?
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 10:22:10 +0200

>>> "Lars" == Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

   > Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:
   >> Just in case I change the default setting and don't remember, which
   >> setting do I have to check?

   > `gnus-blocked-images'.

Oh. Thanks

The point is that sometimes I receive email containing mathematical
formula in png format, which are displayed. So I checked and I have

,----
| gnus-blocked-images is a variable defined in ‘gnus-art.el’.
| Its value is nil
| Original value was
| gnus-block-private-groups
|
| Documentation:
| Images that have URLs matching this regexp will be blocked.
| This can also be a function to be evaluated.  If so, it will be
| called with the group name as the parameter, and should return a
| regexp.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
| version 24.1 of Emacs.
`----

Do I understand that in this case I am vulnerable?

Hm I could write a function which sets the variable to non nil, when a
smime/pgp signed/encrypted message arrives. But maybe setting this
variable when opening the message is too late to avoid the
vulnerability.

So maybe it is safer to return to the original setting and set it to
nil, if I am sure the message is *not* encrypted/signed.

Any opinions?