Re: Why does make run git?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Why does make run git?
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 10:18:24 -0400

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 10:56:53 -0700 Paul Eggert <address@hidden> wrote:

PE> To help improve the situation I propose the attached patch, which reverts
the
PE> default ./autogen.sh behavior to be './autogen.sh all', the way it used to
be
PE> (briefly). Developers who want autogen.sh to leave their Git settings alone
can
PE> continue to use './autogen.sh autoconf'.

I had to modify the .gitlab-ci.yml file today because it was failing to
build Emacs in a clean checkout. I figured out the right command from
your post. I have no objections to this change, but perhaps CONTRIBUTE
and INSTALL should mention how to compile and run Emacs without running
Git or expecting a .git/hooks directory?

Maybe there could even be a more automatic way to avoid running the Git
commands inside an automated build, where there's no chance they will be
needed?

Thanks
Ted