Re: Why does make run git?

From: Radon Rosborough
Subject: Re: Why does make run git?
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 10:43:32 -0700

> You can't rely on the user's having done 'make'
> in the repository before doing the git operations that use these
> settings.

That is true but it's much worse to rely on the user using VC. Hooking
into the build process isn't foolproof, but it's much better than
hooking into every possible version-control package for Emacs,
including ones like Magit which aren't built in to Emacs.

I don't think there really is any perfect solution to the problem of
configuring Git. You just have to accept that in some circumstances,
the configuration won't be done correctly, so that's why it's
important for there to be more robust checks run on CI when possible.

But really, hooking into the build process is probably the easiest way
to reach the most users with the least maintenance overhead and
inconvenience.