Re: Changes in frame/window code

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Changes in frame/window code
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 15:32:38 +0200

> In the next days I intend to install the attached patch.  Its primary
> aims are to:
>
> (1) Finish the transition to pixelwise frame/window size handling (for
>      example, removing the necessity that fringe-sizes are an integral
>      multiple of columns or the remnants of the "extended" scrollbar).
>
> (2) Fix the "toolbar/menubar height is part of the frame text height"
>      issue (which the recent change in revision 117561 doesn't).
>
> (3) Make the frame size resilient to menu-/tool-/scrollbar/font/fringes
>      changes when it's either maximized/fullscreen or the user generally
>      dislikes implied size changes.
>
> (4) Add horizontal scroll bars for the Gtk/Motif/Lucid/Windows builds.

I have committed the changes now.  Although I gave them some thorough
testing with the Gtk/Lucid/Motif and Windows builds here, they very
likely might break with other window managers or toolkits.  I did some
light tests with GNUstep but am convinced that the NS build in
particular will run into more serious problems.

I'm aware that the changes should have been applied separately.  But as
I explained in another post, doing so would have cost me too much time.

Note that horizontal scrollbars are turned on by default on all builds
that support them.  This is the only way I see to get them at least some
initial coverage.  If you utterly dislike them (or do not use scrollbars
at all) please use the idiom

(when (fboundp 'horizontal-scroll-bar-mode)
  (horizontal-scroll-bar-mode -1))

I intend to disable horizontal scrollbars by default in the next weeks.

I plan to add the corresponding NEWS entries in the next few days.

Thanks for any feedback, martin