Re: Changes in frame/window code

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Changes in frame/window code
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 14:48:14 +0200

>> (1) Finish the transition to pixelwise frame/window size handling (for
>>      example, removing the necessity that fringe-sizes are an integral
>>      multiple of columns or the remnants of the "extended" scrollbar).
>>
>> (2) Fix the "toolbar/menubar height is part of the frame text height"
>>      issue (which the recent change in revision 117561 doesn't).
>>
>> (3) Make the frame size resilient to menu-/tool-/scrollbar/font/fringes
>>      changes when it's either maximized/fullscreen or the user generally
>>      dislikes implied size changes.
>>
>> (4) Add horizontal scroll bars for the Gtk/Motif/Lucid/Windows builds.
>>
>> Kindly refrain from substantial frame/window code changes in the next
>> few days to make the transition as smooth as possible.  And, obviously,
>> please try the patch.
>
> Maintenance/support notice: in general, I think that ~400K patch is just
> a bad joke. IMO it's highly desirable to split 1), 2) and 3) in one
> patch and apply it first. 4) should go next, and only after a more or
> less representative feedback on 1), 2) and 3).

I agree with you.  But I started to do (4) first and only later added
the remaining steps (and a few more).  These are heavily interconnected
so I don't see a way to safely split them any more.  Moreover splitting
would take me a month at least and I won't be able to spend so much time
on this.

martin