Re: Window configurations

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Window configurations
Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 20:50:01 -0400

>> There is one problem of using bookmark records for desktop.el.
>> Some bookmarks take too much time to restore when reading
>> from the desktop file.

Juri, do you have more details on this?  I don't know of this problem.

> Sigh. I really wish you guys wouldn't mess with this. Put what you want in a
> window config, but please do not try "unifying" bookmarks and desktops (and
> window configs).

Noone's trying to unify the two: desktop.el uses internally
a representation of "the content and position of a given buffer" to be
able to reproduce it later, and as it turns out, this is the exact same
problem that bookmark tries to solve.  So it might make sense for
desktop.el to use bookmarks for that internal thingy.

I'm not 100% positive it does since the purpose is slightly different
(e.g. a bookmark is expected to be useful for a potentially long period
of time during which the file referenced might be modified many times,
so bookmark doesn't just record the buffer position but also some
context so as to find the same spot even if it's not at the same line
number any more.  It's probably less important for desktop.el).

        Stefan