Re: Window configurations

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Window configurations
Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 23:31:31 +0300

>> Could we add as an extra `buffer-file-name' alist element in the sexp
>> of a window-configuration or is that a bad idea? (I was just tring to
>> reconstruct a window-configuration after an emacs reboot but quickly
>> found out filenames weren't just there.)
>
> For saving/restoring, we'll probably need to save the same info used
> by bookmark.el or desktop.el (unifying the two might also be a good
> idea, BTW).

Since bookmark.el is conceptually more low-level than desktop.el,
the latter could use a subset of services provided by bookmarks.

There is one problem of using bookmark records for desktop.el.
Some bookmarks take too much time to restore when reading from the desktop
file.  So packages will need to distinguish between making a bookmark for
bookmark.el or desktop.el to not save some bookmarks in the desktop file.
Maybe `bookmark-make-record-function' will require a new argument for that.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/