Re: Add function to make frame topmost?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Add function to make frame topmost?
Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 16:27:24 +0100

Drew Adams wrote:

Not to divert the discussion from your patch, but wouldn't we anyway need
something like what bug #4476 suggests in order to save & restore frame configs?
If we are intending to be let users persistently save the state of their windows
and frames, then won't we need to record and restore (or at least request
restoration of) the fine-grained stacking order/z-order?

Maybe. Apart from leaving the z-order alone:

One could try to restore something as close as possible to a saved absolute z-order, but users might be surprised by that since non-emacs windows may well have come and gone in the meantime, and it would mean restoring a frame configuration might bury and interleave frames behind non-emacs windows. It might all seem a bit random.

Restoring the relative z-order of emacs frames, but restoring them
contiguous in the stack and maybe at the top (not always-on-top, I just mean in front) on restoration, might be a better option. Except when the user is saving and restoring in rapid succession in the one session, as I imagine most people's typical use of frame-configuration-to-register/jump-to-register is. Then it might be the surprising/annoyingly-raisey option, and leaving
the z-order as-is might be best.

Or could punt and make it an option as to which of the three happens
and/or which of the three happens in which context (same-session
set-frame-configuration from a "live" frame configuration object
vs. from a deserialized "undead" frame configuration object)

Probably need coding up and testing for a real assessment.