Re: Add function to make frame topmost?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Add function to make frame topmost?
Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 19:03:19 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:
SM> An alternative is to use the poor-man's OO system already in place and
SM> just add a set_frame_topmost_hook to the terminal object.

Check src/termhooks.h where "struct terminal" is defined.

        Stefan "who though it would be obvious"

I'm wasn't sure why you say terminal rather than frame, though either
way it's a poor-man's OO system dealie. Futzing with _NET_WM_STATE_ABOVE is closely analogous to futzing with _NET_WM_STATE_STICKY from within emacs, so adding it to frame_parm_table makes most sense to me.

I guess there is a danger that if it is added it might be abused, but FWIW, a patch that adds 'stacking-layer (and 'shaded, which I just thought I'd do while I was there) frame parameters for X11 by analogy with 'sticky is straightforward and attached, it might be independently vaguely useful for some users? But don't expect me to argue strongly for its inclusion.

Implementation of a w32 x_set_stacking_layer toggling TOPMOST
should be straightforward (though I don't see a BOTTOMMOST, so I guess they have a layer less than us). I have found that there are add-ons for windows that do use TOPMOST to produce an "Always on top" setting very much akin to a typical X11 window manager:
http://www.ghacks.net/2008/09/12/window-always-on-top-with-power-menu/
so perhaps it's about as valid a thing to add on w32 as the x11 stacking-layer support is on x11.