Re: Add function to make frame topmost?

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Add function to make frame topmost?
Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 09:27:53 +0200

Lennart Borgman skrev 2010-05-02 00.44:

I think this is useful for reminders/appointments, log tail buffers etc.

I don't get it. Why insist that the window should be topmost? For a log tail buffer, I'd hate if it was topmost, that is just a waste of screen space. If you can set a window topmost by _NET_WM_STATE_ABOVE, then there is a menu for it anyway. Why not let the user use that?
Forcing behaviour like this sounds wrong.

For reminders I'd rather see the kind of windows gnome uses for this, see screen shot. They are indeed topmost, but not transient for. An general API to create this kind of windows could use platform specific methods where available.

        Jan D.