Re: Differences between mail-mode and message-mode

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Differences between mail-mode and message-mode
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 12:05:07 +0900

Reiner Steib writes:
 > On Wed, Jul 22 2009, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
 >
 > > Reiner Steib writes:
 > >
 > >  > Obviously the key bindings cannot be resolved without a change for
 > >  > either mail-mode or message-mode users.  Maybe set the bindings
 > >  > depending on some compatibility variable?
 > >
 > > How about the presence of Newsgroups?
 >
 > >  > >  . In mail-mode C-c C-f C-f moves to FCC; in message-mode C-c C-f C-f
 > >  > >    moves to Followup-To, and C-c C-f C-w moves to FCC.
 > >
 > > Followup-To is rarely useful in a mail message.
 >
 > A message-mode buffer can be news, mail or both.

Indeed.  That's why I mention "Newsgroups" above.  I'm conditioning
all my suggestions on "compatibility with the mail-only MUA that has
been default until now".  Ie, they apply only when it's *not* a news
post.  (As far as Emacs can tell so far: of course that can change if
the user desires.)

Of course this is a hack.  I think it's a shame that Gnus chose to
cater to 1-keystroke savings rather than keep a regular, mnemonic
keymap for default, but any attempt to change the Gnus keymap now will
of course meet a response greatly resembling in all ways the response
of mail-mode advocates to suggestions of change.