Re: message-mode is now default?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: message-mode is now default?
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 12:24:54 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> As long as message-mode is more in line with what a newcomer would
> expect, I don't see why we should strive to retain the previous
> behavior.

People are not trying to retain the previous behavior.

People are taking care of making the switch to message-mode a smooth
process.  RMS expressed concerns about the code in message-mode.  AMS
expressed concerns about the fact that the switch was not explicitely
(or not clearly) announced.  These two concerns are just discarded by
the maintainers with the argument: "Making it the default is the best
way to make people work on message-mode".

I don't think forcing stuff is the right way to deal with defaults.

Same for `line-move-visual'.  Requests for a poll have been silently
dismissed.  Of course everyone can put (setq line-move-visual nil) in
her ~/.emacs, but if "customizing" and "debugging" are now synonyms,
Emacs should rather not be advertized as something that everyone wants
(or need?) to customize.

--
 Bastien