Re: message-mode is now default?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: message-mode is now default?
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 00:54:13 -0400

>> Making message-mode the default is not a problem for people
>> who already use it, it is a problem for people who are not using it.
>> So making things smoother for these people is a good idea IMHO.

>     This is a development branch.  Breakage should be expected.

> The supposed argument for this change was that Message mode was a
> compatible extension of Mail mode.

Actually, the reason for this change is that message-mode is a better
default, since it provides the features that many users expect (such as
proper handling of non-ASCII chars and the ability to add attachments).

The "compatible extension" argument will be needed when/if we decide to
drop mail-mode.

> Now that someone listed dozens of incompatibilities, this response
> seems to disregard the fact that that argument is not valid.

I'm indeed happy to see that this change finally got someone to dig into
the differences, which will hopefully allow us to merge mail-mode and
message-mode at some point.

        Stefan