Re: message-mode is now default?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: message-mode is now default?
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 13:59:20 +0900

>     This is a development branch.  Breakage should be expected.
>
> The supposed argument for this change was that Message mode was a
> compatible extension of Mail mode.  Now that someone listed dozens of
> incompatibilities, this response seems to disregard the fact that that
> argument is not valid.

The argument is not invalid.  In the most important senses -- the
general UI and method of operation -- message-mode is very much
compatible.  There are clearly details where the two modes differ, but
the list of "incompatibilities" are all basically trivial (and easily
fixed) or simply silly (WTF cares if the generated buffer names are
different?  We could easily change them, but we _shouldn't_ because
message-mode actually uses far more useful buffer names).

Of course, the most important audience affected by the default setting
-- novice/casual users -- simply won't care or even notice 99% of the
issues mentioned.

There are clearly things that need to be ironed out, so we should iron
them out.

The hook situation seems one of the more important issues; is anybody
going to comment on my suggestion for merging the hooks?

-Miles

--
Hers, pron. His.