Re: message-mode is now default?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: message-mode is now default?
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 11:32:04 +0200

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <address@hidden> writes:

>    > So why not making message-mode the default when those problems
>    > are fixed?
>
>    The long painful thread included various questions asking in which
>    way message-mode was different, and nobody was able to answer those
>    questions.
>
> Several people already noted why they prefer mail-mode, that you do
> not agree with these opinions is not a reason to dismiss them as
> "nobody was able to answer".
>
> Eli has now listed many UI changes that differ between mail-mode and
> message-mode, including code changes.
>
> Clearly, message-mode and mail-mode are different enough that making
> message-mode default was a premature change, so the right thing to do
> is change it back.

As long as message-mode is more in line with what a newcomer would
expect, I don't see why we should strive to retain the previous
behavior.

Bringing message-mode in line with mail-mode makes only sense where
message-mode is clearly inferior.

> Those who wish to make message-mode behave more like mail-mode can
> then work on that.

But those who wish to make message-mode behave more like mail-mode are
apparently those who have been using mail-mode up to now.  And their
only incentive to work on message-mode is when message-mode is the
default.

--
David Kastrup