Re: emacs daemon on win32?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: emacs daemon on win32?
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 18:07:09 +0100

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 17:33, David De La Harpe Golden
<address@hidden> wrote:

> While I believe the spec is straightforward, I personally won't have time to
> look implementing it in the next few days anyway (tax filing deadline is
> Hallowe'en in Ireland, appropriately enough!), so below find my (trivial)
> design notes.

We're talking about a new feature, so there is no need to hurry. It
won't be in 23.1 anyway.

> I imagined an emacs icon in the systray, clicking left button just opening a
> new frame, right button bringing up a small menu with something like
> Open File...                                            [1]
> New Frame
> New Frame on Display...                                 [2]
> Start Emacs Server [/ Stop Emacs Server]                [3]
> Settings...                                             [4]
> Quit Emacs                                              [5]
>
> I really don't think you'd want more than that on the menu, keep it simple.

Perhaps even simpler.

> Also to note, gtk+ has a system tray icon abstraction class GtkStatusIcon, I
> guess gtk+ emacs
> maybe should go through that rather than implementing the spec from scratch...

I think the main problem is defining a flexible interface at the
C/elisp level to abstract the differences between OS/X, GNU/Linux and
Windows.

  Juanma