Re: emacs daemon on win32?

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: emacs daemon on win32?
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:48:10 -0400

David De La Harpe Golden <address@hidden> writes:

>> The easiest approach is to have a separate "emacs-systray" application
>> that (i) starts Emacs in daemon mode and (ii) adds a systray icon which
>> runs emacsclient when clicked.  "Minimizing to systray" is just the same
>> as closing the frame, which is already handled properly in daemon mode.
>>
>> (Same approach works for a Gnome or KDE applet.)
>
> Uhm. That sounds kind of complicated to me. Systray support shouldn't
> really be confused with daemon mode.  Daemon == detached from the
> process group, won't quit upon user logout, AFAIK.

The systray application could simply do something like

  emacsclient --eval "(kill-emacs)"

on logout.

The advantage of this is that it can be implemented rather easily.  Not
that I'm going to spend time on this, but I suspect it won't take more
than a day to hack up a usable Gnome applet, which won't need to do
anything but issue a handful of different shell commands.