Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 13:48:55 -0500

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 11:02:29 -0500 Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:

TZ> On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 01:54:35 +0300 Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I can do
>>>
>>> (insert (compose-chars ?а ?̀))
>>>
>>> but if I try the resulting character in quail-define-rules, it's not a
>>> valid character read sequence, being two characters.  I also can't
>>> specify the `compose-chars' function call or a string there.  How do I
>>> specify a combined character in the quail rules?

JL> Maybe something like this should work ("a`" "а̀") ("a'" "а́").

TZ> It doesn't, according to the docs and it's the first thing I tried :)

JL> I think we should use ` and ' as the postfix character, like
JL> latin-postfix vs latin-prefix.

TZ> OK, I changed things accordingly and will commit to CVS when the problem
TZ> above with doing combining characters in Quail is resolved.

This is the only thing stopping me.  I adjusted the accents and added
some more special characters; here's the special characters with some
comments.

 ("/c" ?©)
 ("/tm" ?®) ;; I couldn't find a TM glyph in Unicode
 ("/rub" ?R) ;; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_ruble, new glyph may
be under development
 ("/kop" ?к) ;; not sure
 ("/lev"  ?л)
 ("/sto" ?с)
 ("/e"   ?€)
 ("/ce"  ?¢) ;; is this the right glyph for Euro cents?  I think so.

 ;; fractions (non-combined)
 ("/78" ?⅞)
 ("/58" ?⅝)
 ("/38" ?⅜)
 ("/18" ?⅛)
 ("/56" ?⅚)
 ("/16" ?⅙)
 ("/45" ?⅘)
 ("/35" ?⅗)
 ("/25" ?⅖)
 ("/15" ?⅕)
 ("/23" ?⅔)
 ("/13" ?⅓)
 ("/34" ?¾)
 ("/12" ?½)
 ("/14" ?¼)
 ;; we'll have combined fractions later I guess

 ;; Roman numerals, commonly used for months
 ("/I" ?Ⅰ)
 ("/II" ?Ⅱ)
 ("/III" ?Ⅲ)
 ("/IV" ?Ⅳ)
 ("/V" ?Ⅴ)
 ("/VI" ?Ⅵ)
 ("/VII" ?Ⅶ)
 ("/VIII" ?Ⅷ)
 ("/IX" ?Ⅸ)
 ("/X" ?Ⅹ)
 ("/XI" ?Ⅺ)
 ("/XII" ?Ⅻ)

 ("/-"  ?–)
 ("/--" ?—)
 ("/." ?•)
 ("/.." ?…)
 ("/``" ?”)
 ("/`" ?’)
 ("/,," ?„)
 ("/," ?‚)
 ("/'" ?‘)

 ("/&" ?§)
 ("/ab" ?§)                             ; _аб_зац
 ("/pa" ?§)                             ; _pa_ragraph
 ("/#" ?№)
 ("/no" ?№)                             ; _но_мер
 ("<<" ?«)
 (">>" ?»)