Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:38:51 -0400

Ted> The only caution is that universal sequences are not always
Ted> intuitive; a good example is that I put "/ab" for paragraph because
Ted> that makes sense in Bulgarian ("абзац" means paragraph, pronounced
Ted> "abzatz").

JL> It might be funny but in Russian § is named as a "paragraph sign",
JL> so your mnemonics don't work here.  And "абзац" is used for a
JL> different character, actually the pilcrow.

Ted> "абзац" is a synonym for paragraph in Russian (and comes from
Ted> German,

In English, the pilcrow sign (¶) is more widely know as the paragraph
sign, and is frequently used (especially in legal texts) to specify a
numbered paragraph in a citation, such as in [§4.5¶7] for the seventh
paragraph of the fifth subsection of the fourth section.  Or [§8ii¶C1]
for the first sub-paragraph of the third paragraph of the second sub-
section of the eighth section.

I'd bet, auf Deutsch, der Absatz is used for ¶, hense абзац.

Did the two symbols end up with reversed meanings in different cultures?

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6