Re: Hebrew xlation of Emacs tutorial

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Hebrew xlation of Emacs tutorial
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 20:52:51 -0500

>> In the case of Hebrew, I think the best option is to write it "right" (using
>> another editor)
> One can write logical-order Hebrew in Emacs today, no need for another
> editor.  It's just the display that is broken.

If you want to write it with Emacs, feel free, but I personally wouldn't
spend any time writing French texts on a right-to-left-only text editor, no
matter how great it may otherwise be.

> I don't see how we can craft a tutorial without being able to display
> it, since the tutorial undergoes reformatting by Emacs, as you know.

It does?  No, as a matter of fact, I didn't know.  And taking another look
at the French tutorial, I don't see any reformatting going on.

> If someone wants to contribute just the text, we could perhaps keep it
> in admin somewhere, but I doubt that anyone would wish to work on
> something that will not be used for some time to come.

It could be printed/displayed with other tools, and thus still be usable.

>> One more motivation for writing the bidi support.
> I lack time, not motivation ;-)

I'd hope someone *else* would jump in.

        Stefan