RE: Hebrew xlation of Emacs tutorial

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Hebrew xlation of Emacs tutorial
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 12:28:18 -0800

> > > I think we should encourage people to write tutorials
> > > for any language, whether it's well supported by Emacs or not.
> >
> > I agree strongly.
>
> Do you read Hebrew?  If not, try to imagine your beloved language
> hopelessly messed up by Emacs, and you will begin to understand why I
> don't want to see such abomination in the Emacs distribution.

Who said anything about it being in the Emacs distribution?

You also said:

> If someone wants to contribute just the text, we could perhaps
> keep it in admin somewhere

That's what I had in mind: let people think now about translating, but don't
integrate any translations into Emacs until the display can support them. I
thought that was also what Stefan had in mind, but I don't know.

However, I also added a caveat that we should let potential translators know
that their effort might be partly wasted if the tutorial is revisited after
the release.

Stefan spoke not of translating, in fact, but of "writing tutorials", which
I also agree with. That is, I think it would be good for people to think now
about possible improvements to the Emacs tutorial. Recently, people here
looked at another tutorial (with screenshots etc.), which some found useful.
I say, let's get input from all quarters on how the Emacs tutorial might be
improved.

Input should be welcome, both translation and new tutorial ideas. You may
not "agree to something like that", but that's what I meant and what I still
mean.