RE: Q on Text Properties popup menu - shouldn'titusethepointerposition,

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Q on Text Properties popup menu - shouldn'titusethepointerposition, not the cursor position?
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:35:25 -0700

        With this code, the Text Properties menu uses the cursor
        position (point) when it is accessed from the menu-bar
        and the mouse pointer position when it is accessed via
        mouse popup menu (C-mouse-2). So, for instance, you can
        point the mouse at some text and pick Describe Properties
        to see its text properties.

    Does this mean only for the menu items that operate on a single
    position?

Yes. The menu looks like this - I added the last two separators and the last
three items:

 Text Properties
 ----------------------
 Face >
 Foreground Color >
 Background Color >
 Special Properties >
 ----------------------
 Justification >
 Indentation >
 ----------------------
 Remove Face Properties
 Remove Text Properties
 ----------------------
 Describe Properties
 Display Faces
 Display Colors
 ----------------------
 Change Face Foreground
 Change Face Background
 Change Face Attribute

    Changing the text properties applies to a region, and the only sensible
    thing for it to do is act on _the_ region, as it does now.

Agreed. There is no change in this regard.

BTW, I was not making a suggestion to change anything in Emacs, except for
letting Describe Properties act on the pointer position (not point) when
called from the popup menu.

There are three classes of commands in this menu:

 - those acting on the region
 - those acting on the character after point (or under the mouse pointer)
 - those acting without regard to any object (intransitive), such as Display
Faces

To make things clearer, we might want to put all of the items acting on the
region in a "Region" submenu. Alternatively, we might put all of the
commands acting at a single position on a "Here" submenu.

In my own local version, for instance, I added some region commands to the
Edit menu and put them in two submenus, Edit Region (for stuff like tabify
and upcase) and Sort Region (for different ways to sort the region).

I'll respond to your questions about Do Re Mi separately.