RE: File menu changes (suggestions)

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: File menu changes (suggestions)
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:33:47 -0700

    >     FYI, "One Window" is what we had before Emacs 21.1.  Like
    >     I said: we are regressing.
    >
    > Not all movement from one version to the next is progress.
    > It happens sometimes that previous behavior was better than
    > current behavior. Life is like that, sometimes.

    With all due respect, I don't know where you get the right to
    talk about the 21.1 menu design with such an arrogance.

With all due respect, don't get nasty. I did not mention 21.1 - or any
particular Emacs version. You quoted my message in its entirety, and it says
nothing about specific versions. And I do have the right to talk about any
design - anyone does. And I do not feel arrogant - sorry if you take my
suggestions that way.

I simply pointed out the general rule that not all evolution is in the
direction of progress. Or at least that's what I meant to say. Sorry if that
wasn't clear.

You, on the other hand, labeled "regression" any move to return to a
previous state. "regression: 1) Reversion; retrogression. 2) Relapse to a
less perfect or developed state." You assume perhaps that all past changes
have improved things; I don't share that point of view - in general or in
the particular case of Emacs.

My point was that, instead of considering all movement to a previous state
to be regression, we should consider potential changes on a case-by-case
basis, judging them on their own merits - regardless of whether they might
have already been visited. Even if most past Emacs changes have meant
progress (which is what I think), we should still be able to question any of
them and suggest improvements.

My general remark about evolution was a response to your blanket judgement
that we are regressing by even considering renamings like "New File" ->
"Open". Such a change might represent a return to the past, but that would
not, by itself, constitute regression. By speaking of "regression", you put
a negative value on such a movement, in a wholesale way.

If you take the (arrogant?) point of view that we have already achieved the
"best of all possible worlds" because lots of discussion, research,
experimentation, and expertise went into the existing design, then yes, it's
futile not only to suggest repeating a past state but also to suggest any
other changes.

I (arrogantly?) have a less deferential attitude toward the status quo, but
that doesn't mean that I don't value and respect it, its history, and the
people who constructed it - I do.

    By contrast, your suggestions are based on opinions of a
    single individual.

How do you know what I base my suggestions on? On the other hand, yes, my
suggestions reflect my opinions, of course. It seems to me that you are the
one who is arrogantly arguing from authority. I'm only speaking my mind,
and, yes, I only speak for myself. You don't have to agree, but please try
to be polite.

ad hominem ad nauseum.