Re: info

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: info
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:51:59 -0600 (CST)

Robert Chassell wrote:

   In the Dir file, when point is in a description, and you press RET,
   Emacs does not visit the Info file, but returns an error message that
   says:

       Info-next-preorder: No more nodes

It visits the Info file if you are on the actual *-line.  Otherwise a
variety of things can happen, depending on the situation.

For instance:

* Emacs Lisp Intro: (eintr).
                        A simple introduction to Emacs Lisp programming.
* Eshell: (eshell).     A command shell implemented in Emacs Lisp.

Note: (eintr) and (eshell) only became visible after yanking.
If I press RETURN on "A simple ...", I would be visiting the Eshell
file,  because I am not on the *-line.  If Emacs Lisp Intro: were
the last node, I would be getting the error message you got.

Positioning point above the `A" goes to `File: eintr'.  We see:

* Narrowing & Widening::        Restricting your and Emacs attention to
                                    a region.
* car cdr & cons::              Fundamental functions in Lisp.

RETURN on "Restricting ..." goes to "Narrowing & Widening::"
RETURN on "a region." goes to "car cdr & cons::"

We all agree that the behavior on the *-line is correct and the
behavior on the next line wrong.  What we are discussing is what the
behavior on other lines should be.  At first it looks obvious: we want
exactly the same behavior as on the *-line in both cases since we are
on a continuation line.  (That is exactly what I originally proposed.)
But somehow things are not that straightforward, for reasons discussed
earlier in this thread.

Sincerely,

Luc.