Re: info

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: info
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 19:33:29 +0200

> Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 19:33:18 -0600 (CST)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>
>
> * CC Mode: (ccmode).   Emacs mode for editing C, C++, Objective-C,
>                           Java, Pike, and IDL code.
> * CL: (cl).                   Partial Common Lisp support for Emacs Lisp.
[...]
> If point is on say: Java in the above and I click return I visit the
> CL node.

FWIW, the stand-alone Info reader doesn't move point in such cases and
either says nothing or prints "No cross references in this node."  It
only follows a menu item if point is on the same line as the leading
"* " sequence after a newline, a sequence which starts every menu
item.

> Would it not be more logical to look at previous (rather than
> following) lines for which node to visit, since that is usually the
> node the text we are looking at refers to?

I like the behavior of the stand-alone Info better than what Emacs
does now and better than what you propose.  (But then I'm not
objective about this: I worked on these aspects of the stand-alone
reader.)

Please also keep in mind that some menus have free text in between
menu items, which doesn't belong to any menu item at all.  Here's an
example from the Emacs manual:

    * Acknowledgments::     Major contributors to GNU Emacs.

    Indexes (nodes containing large menus)
    * Key Index::           An item for each standard Emacs key sequence.

Which menu item would you like Info to select if point is on
"Indexes", and how should Info tell this case from the one that
started this thread?

Again, I'm not arguing that the current behavior is the best we could
do, or that it should not be changed under any circumstances.  I'm
just trying to point out potential pitfalls, and given that, get to
some agreement about what we would like to see in each situation.