Re: Changes in the menu bar

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Changes in the menu bar
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 05:54:21 -0700 (MST)

    + (defun search-emacs-glossary (term)
    +   "Search the Glossary node of the Emacs manual for an entry for TERM."
    +   (interactive "sTerm to look up: ")

I think it is better just to visit the glossary and let the user search.
(That search is not hard to do.)  This would be simpler and more general.

      (define-key menu-bar-apropos-menu [apropos-documentation]
    !   '(menu-item "Lookup by Documentation Text..." apropos-documentation
    !               :help
    !         "Find functions and variables whose doc strings match a regexp"))
      (define-key menu-bar-apropos-menu [apropos]
    !   '(menu-item "Lookup Any Object by Name..."  apropos
    !               :help "Find all symbols whose names match a regexp"))

"Lookup" is not a verb--it would have to be "Look up".
But these names just don't sound right.

I think they should be

Matching Names of Anything
Matching Doc Strings
Matching Variable Values
Matching Variable Names
Matching Command Names

    ! (define-key menu-bar-help-menu [emacs-manual]
    !   '(menu-item "Read the Emacs Manual" menu-bar-read-emacs-man
    !         :help "Full documentation of Emacs features"))

It appears we had a discussion and decided to put this at the top
level.  Unless the reasons for that decision have been invalidated, we
should leave this item at top level.  We can have the new item in
the Manuals menu also.