Re: Changes in the menu bar

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Changes in the menu bar
Date: 28 Nov 2001 11:59:51 +0100

I suggest looking at this from a NEWBIE user's point of view.

Suppose he wants to find out how to change the background color
of the display  [I specifically choose the wrong terms here :-)]

First he notices that there is a `Help' item on the menu bar.

He opens that menu (and probably gets overwhelmed - but ok).

He might select `Emacs FAQ' (if he is clever and think that this is
probably a FAQ).

Or he may think that he needs to `Read the Emacs Manual'.

But if he saw an submenu entry like `Search the Online Documentation'
or similar, he would probably choose that.

Now, he has already chosen `Search the Online Documentation', so the
items on that submenu don't really need to include words like `Search'
or `Documentation' because that is what he's already decided to do.

So the items on the submenu could be

        Lookup Term in Glossary
        Lookup Term in User Manual
        Lookup Term in Lisp Manual
        ---
        Search in Documentation Strings
        ---
        Find Commands by Name
        Find Variables by Name
        Find Variables by Value

And we really don't need to emphasize the use of a regexp here,
as the prompt should indicate this possibility:

        Find Command by Name (regexp):

Ok, I started from a newbie point of view, but IMHO, I think that what
is described above will also suit the more advanced users!