Re: Changes in the menu bar

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Changes in the menu bar
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:03:47 -0700 (MST)

    But that would make the "Lookup in Glossary" item inconsistent with the
    two other "Lookup" items right near it, which look up subjects in the
    indices of the Emacs and ELisp manuals.  Isn't it better to be
    consistent here?

You are right that the name "Lookup in Glossary" does not go with a
command that just goes to the Glossary.  I presume that name was
chosen to describe the behavior which reads an argument in the minibuffer.

This name would not fit the behavior of just going to the glossary,
so we would want to use a different name.  Perhaps  Read Glossary.
Then there will be no inconsistency.

I just wonder one thing--why wasn't this obvious?

    I think it would make (some) sense if entering an empty string (just
    hit RET) would simply open the Glossary (or Index).

That would be more inconvenient than just going to the Glossary.
Meanwhile, newbies would wonder what inputs they could give.
It would disturb them.

If the command just takes them to the Glossary, they can at least
scroll through it.

Please let's just do this the simple way, and move on to solve
other problems.