Re: Yanking text properties

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Yanking text properties
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 19:00:25 -0700 (MST)

    That sounds like a better approach.  Although, advising `yank'
    might work just as well.

Lots of different commands can copy text into the buffer.  Advising
(or changing) them one by one is no solution.  To fix this fully, it
has to be fixed all at once, in someplace more fundamental.

Please aim your thinking towards proposing clean and full solutions.
It is not a good idea to propose kludges.  What if people take them
seriously?

Also, please note that advising should never be used in the standard
parts of Emacs.  If we want foo to call bar, we should modify the
source code of foo to call bar (so that the source code of foo says
what it does!), never advise foo to call bar.  This is a rule that
should be followed generally.