Re: Yanking text properties

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Yanking text properties
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2001 12:40:09 +0100

> I tend to think an interface that lets you say "it is ok to insert
> intangible properties into this buffer" is the best.

That would be perfect for major modes that use (or especially don't
use) these properties.

Some points:

* The current default is that all major modes allow all special
  properties to be inserted.  If we change this default, all code that
  use special properties will break.  One way to avoid this would be
  to say "if the major mode hasn't told us which speciel properties to
  allow, assume all are allowed".

* We probably want a mechanism for minor modes to allow specific
  special properties as well.  Maybe it would be acceptable if they
  just use "add-to-list" to add the properties they care about when
  enabled, and don't bother with them when disabled.

* How about other code?  Are there code that is not modes which make
  use of the special properties?  If so, should they bind the variable
  dynamically when adding text with the properties?