Re: Yanking text properties

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Yanking text properties
Date: 02 Nov 2001 09:47:28 +0900

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
> Of course, maybe another solution is to make sure that those things that
> should be stripped never get there in the first place: make them overlays
> rather than text-properties.  Is a `field' text-property ever meaningful?
> Shouldn't it always be used in an overlay instead ?

Well one could say that for a form in a buffer, the fields are really
part of the form!

In any case, I think the reason for supporting both is a practical one --
some modes use text properties extensively already, and to add fields to
such a mode, it's probably easiest to reuse the existing infrastructure
(eshell is one such example, I believe).

Text properties are also more efficient than overlays, so one it would be
nice to be able to use them for a buffer that want to have lots and lots
of fields.

-Miles
--
"Most attacks seem to take place at night, during a rainstorm, uphill,
 where four map sheets join."   -- Anon. British Officer in WW I