Re: [Duplicity-talk] Question on dealing with Archives

From: Jeffrey
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Question on dealing with Archives
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 18:45:55 -0400

Aaron,

My first statement falls short of explaining everything I'm looking to do.  Both incremental, and occasional full backups.  Right now I've got Duplicity set (I think) to do daily incremental backups, which is great. And also a full backup every 14 days.  Before Duplicity I was using a RubyGem called Backup, which would do full backups only. The backups were not incremental and simple archives that could be extracted. But, full backups all the time are too much I think.  Duplicity seems like a nice compromise.

My point was that if you are not using any of the incremental features or the ability to restore at various points in time etc, you do not need duplicity at all and could just create a tar.gz as normal and upload it. Tar can even handle --exclude statements etc.

My knowledge is weak when it comes to server admin so without something like Duplicity I don't know how to make that happen.

I'll continue to experiment with this.  In the end I may just need to be more flexible or familiar with Duplicity.

Jeff