Re: [Duplicity-talk] Question on dealing with Archives

From: Aaron
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Question on dealing with Archives
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2017 17:11:44 +0100

Hello Jeffrey,

On 2017-06-07 16:46, Jeffrey via Duplicity-talk wrote:

I'm using Duplicity to periodically load unencrypted full backups to my Amazon s3 account. Works great, except I'd love to be able to download those archives and extract them myself.  At the moment, when I download the  duplicity-full.************.diftar.gz I get another archive .difftar that will not properly extract.

[...]

I'm backing up small websites, and I'm looking for an fast & easy way to restore them in a worse case scenario where the server blows up.  I can get a new VPS with wordpress setup in seconds then load up the site files using ftp.

It is not directly answering your question, but it sounds as though you are fighting duplicity a bit instead of using it.

Any reason that you cannot backup to a different subfolder on Amazon for each website that you back up and then use duplicity (essentially the inverse of your backup command) to extract the files if you need them? You should not really be manually extracting archive files unless duplicity cannot do it for you. You can use duplicity to extract the archive files even if you have moved them (say off Amazon onto a folder on your local machine).

Alternatively, if you are just wanting a full backup that you can easily extract, is there a reason not to just do a compressed archive (e.g. a tar.gz)?

Kind regards,

Aaron