Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity + Amazon Glacier, 2015 edition

From: Will McCown
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity + Amazon Glacier, 2015 edition
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 07:18:17 -0800

On 2/16/2015 4:50 AM, Tobias Vollmer wrote:
> Hi Will,
>
> do you use the remove-all-but-n-full functionality of duplicity?

No I don't use that functionality.  At the moment I weed out old backups
by hand, but keep meaning to write a script to accomplish the end.

What I do is use the "--full-if-older-than 1M" to start a new full
backup once a month.

I then use the "remove-all-inc-of-but-n-full 2" functionality to
remove the incrementals.  The scripts are set up to start a new
folder on s3 for each year, so once I year I go and remove all but
the last backup from folder for two years ago.  I haven't decided
how long I'll retain the "yearlies"

The reason for this strategy is that more than once I've the case
where I've gone looking for an old file and discovered that not
only has it been damaged or deleted, but it had been that state for
many months without the damage being noticed so the the backups
also all had the same damaged file.

--
Will McCown, Rolling Hills Estates, CA
address@hidden