[Duplicity-talk] Failed to upload to S3 bucket (EU)

From: Mikko Ohtamaa
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Failed to upload to S3 bucket (EU)
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 15:46:50 +1300

Hi,

I just had failed attempts to use Duplicity with S3 EU regions (Ireland, Frankfurt).

I tried both with

--s3-use-new-style --s3-european-buckets

... and no command line options. I was using URL:

s3://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/bucket/$SITENAME

This resulted to Forbidden exception from boto. But using boto manually from Python prompt still worked, so there is probably something Duplicity did not setup properly when setting up boto connections.

However after changing to s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com region everything started work like a charm, using s3 url:

s3://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/bucket/$SITENAME

Just for your information. Duplicity 0.7.1, boto 2.36.0.

If you come across this issue I recommend dropping in these lines:

    import boto
    boto.set_stream_logger('boto')

To get_connection() in _boto_single.py - this way you get some meaningful output from boto. Otherwise Duplicity only gives backend failure exception without meaningful message payload.