Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity + Amazon Glacier, 2015 edition

From: Mikko Ohtamaa
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity + Amazon Glacier, 2015 edition
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 14:03:38 +1300

Hi Will,

Nothing complicated...  In the S3 gui bring up the "properties" tab for
the bucket containing your backups, and set up the rule under
"lifecycle".  You can either set up a rule for the entire bucket or
for a given "prefix" -- meaning items in the bucket who's tag begins
with the prefix string.

There is a minimum charge for items migrated to Glacier (I think it is
equal to 3-months storage) however that is still cheaper than one month
in normal S3 storage, and the assumptions with backups is that you will
probably never need to get the data back.

Thanks a lot! This was so easy. Now I'll just leave it running for few months and let's see what kind of bill it spits out.

Cheers,
-Mikko

--
Will McCown, Rolling Hills Estates, CA