[Duplicity-talk] Quick Question: full and remove-older-than

From: Damon Timm
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Quick Question: full and remove-older-than
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 21:44:45 -0500

Hi Everyone -

Been spending a little time working on getting duplicity up and
running on my home file server; so far, things are coming along
nicely.  Thanks a lot for this!  Am in the final stages are getting a
script together that can be run in cron for automated nightly backups
... my question is about the "full" and "remove-older-than" options.

Supposing I didn't want to save any files that I had removed from my
server after thirty days -- what is the best way to implement "full"
and "remove-older-than" options ?

Does it make sense to run a "full" backup once a month and then,
immediately after a "remove-older-than 30D" ?  Or should I run full
backups more frequently ?  Or less ?

I don't think I completely understand the power/approach of the
incremental backup, and would appreciate any guidance you may have on
how to manage a potentially ever growing backup tree.

Thanks,
Damon