Re: [Duplicity-talk] command differences between duplicity and rsync !?

From: SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] command differences between duplicity and rsync !?
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:50:07 +0800

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 13:27 +0100, Ian Barton wrote:
> Olivier Croquette wrote:
> > Ian Barton wrote, On 18/06/08 9:02:
> >> The whole point of Duplicity is encryption, so if you *don't* want
> >> encryption rsync is what you need.
> >
> > No, other big differences are incremental backups and compression!
> Good points. However, rsnapshot and rdiff-backup can do  inccrementals.
> Ian

Hi Jan,
For a (Linux) greenhorn / newbie it's always difficult to
get to the most suitable stuff !? ;-)

As for Backup I got across cp, dd, duplicity, rsync, tar ...
... and now you mention 2 more with rsnapshot and rdiff-backup !! ;-))

How do I get the best of it without experimenting and try out all of
them ???

Out from 2 good friends / sources I got recommended rsync & tar and
with its features I decided for rsync until another Ubuntu User pointed
Duplicity with its improved incremental feature/s !!!

Your answer is just crossing with my answer to you & Olivier:
I will reply to my own post since I have gotta one more question.

Cheers, svobi