[Duplicity-talk] [patch] massive performance fix for large volume sizes

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] [patch] massive performance fix for large volume sizes
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 00:03:11 +0200

So I noticed that the speed of backups went *WAY* downhill with large
volume sizes. Turns out a large volume size directly translates into
larger read() calls on underlying file objects, and 100 MB read():s
are not handled efficiently by Python.

Performance metrics on one of my test cases:

volsize 100 w/ patch: ~ 13 seconds CPU
volsize 100 w/o patch: ~ 156 seconds CPU
volsize 5 w/o patch: ~ 18 seconds CPU
volsize 5 w/ patch: ~ 13 seconds CPU

The patch is trivial and is attached. I just went with 64 kb size of
each read() because it is a generally sound value; one could benchmark
to determine an optimal value, but for now 64 kb will at least give
sane performance ;)

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'