Re: [DotGNU]GUI

From: BioChem333
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]GUI
Date: 04 Sep 2002 13:16:32 -0400

Hi,

        The winforms hackers, working off the mono repos, are trying to
implement it on top of gtk#. Any problems with that approach will be
discovered by them eventually, and hopefully they should be able to
figure out ways to workaround those problems. The main known problem
with that approach, afaik, is that winforms is very win32 specific and
there's no simple way to replicate some of that behavior in X. I think
we should only really worry about getting pnetlib up to spec. so we can
support gtk# (and qt#) and I don't see any reason why we need to make a
redundant effort. If they fail at it, and we need it, we can learn from
their mistakes; for now, I think we have more important things to get
working. Once the java frontend for pnet is working we'll also be able
to take advantage of all of classpath's awt/swing work; if you want gui
portability, there's nothing better than awt/swing, imo. If Jens really
wants winforms, there's nothing stopping him from helping to implement
it.

Rich