Re: [DotGNU]GUI

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]GUI
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 02:31:27 +0530

If memory serves me right, JonesJR wrote:
> If there are adjustments needed (I've written al this code based on the
> System.Windows.Forms classes) then what are we doing here. This is completly
> wrong based on my vision in programming in DotGnu. If I write an application
> with a GUI then I want this application to work on every platform supported
> by DotGnu and off course on Window$ .

DotGNU pnet does work on Windows ... But as far as GUI is concerned ,
I think Gnome/Gtk is the preferred model .. I think Gtk# programs already
run well with pnet .

As for Windows.Forms .. I would like Biochem333's opinion about the
difference .. How possible is it to do something like that using GDK
and the System.Drawing API ?

> If this isn't the case know than we have to build an OS or build on an
> existing OS a completly Net based OS, this means no Gnome, no KDE, no
> existing fully runing GUI but a GUI based on (maybe an existing window
> manager, or new one) Net classes. And since most programmers work on the
> Window$ window manager, it should work this way.

wxWindows (I don't like it ,but it's there already) ... Sort of like an
AWT for C/C++ .. We just need a wrapper for wxWindows#..

Or maybe we need to convince Windows to use GTK (LOL)...

> What I mean to say here is, that Net like Micro$oft meant it was a great
> idea, completly platform independed, but what did they to again, make it
> only for Window$ with a GUI for Window$.

Well wrapping MFC into Windows.Forms was the easiest way there was ...

> So if your still with me, and you get the plan let me know something, I'm
> willing to do some effort to get this rolling. I've written some embedded C
> and have a real good knowledge of Window$ core working.

I'm still lost at what you are stating... are you suggesting a new GUI
model for DotGNU ?...

Gopal