Re: [DotGNU]GUI

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]GUI
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 19:57:32 +0530

If memory serves me right, Ian Fung wrote:
> what window.forms is and i know what gtk# and qt# is. from my understanding,
> win.forms is the c# GUI lib in windows. i thought gtk# and qt# were just
> wrappers for those classes so if they are in place, everything will just
> work in the manner juhani described. what am i missing?

GTK# and QT# are wrappers of GTK (C) and QT (C++) classes into C# .. They
are not emulating Windows.Forms here ... Ie GtkWindow class in GTK# wraps
the C impl of GtkWindow to produce the required results.

> what is all this talk about using GDK and the System.Drawing API?

Use GDK and System.Drawing to create a light weight toolkit which emulates
WinForms... Is really hardwork , IMO ...

> and wxWindows? and wrapping MFC into Windows.Forms?

wxWindows is an abstraction of the native GUI toolkit ... ie MFC in Win32,
Gtk in Linux, Carbon in OS X .. etc. So that a wxWidget can be shown in
all the platforms while keeping a native behavior.

And MFC GUI stuff was wrapped into WinForms by MS ..., there was some
discussion before of using WineLib to do just that ...

> > As has been stated before, we will be using Mono's implementation
> > of high-level C# libraries, including Windows.Forms.  They are
> > actively working on it at present.

So, that is the final answer ... ie We'll not try to reinvent the
wheel ... (or WinForms)..

Gopal

PS: In the worst situation, something like XUL might also be used to
    implement a portable UI ... (Mozilla)