Re: [CoreTeam]Re: [DotGNU]Potentially useful kit

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [CoreTeam]Re: [DotGNU]Potentially useful kit
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 16:39:58 +0100

Chris Smith wrote:

>>> TBH, I'm not much for nailing down ownership, but whatever
>>> happens with the licensing I don't want to stop myself
>>> from being able to using the components with my clients
>>> (libraries, servers and all that).

Barry Fitzgerald replied:

> I'm sorry - that was a typo - we wouldn't stop you at all.  As in we
> would not interfer :).  Sorry if this caused any confusion.  However,
> the GNU GPL allows for the philosophical freedom 0, which allows you
> complete usage of the software.  There's nothing in GPL'ing the software
> that would stop you.

There's always the possibility that the client's needs will
require linking with GPL-incompatible software.  So it will
probably be wise for Chris to set things up similar to how
Rhys does it...

So I would suggest:

- Chris doesn't assign copyright to the FSF, but instead he
  creates a Limited Liability Company, owned by Chris, and
  Chris writes his code as "work for hire" for this company.
  (The main purpose of this is to shield him personally from
  any liability issues).

- This company promises to us all to never turn this software or
  any derivative product thereof into proprietary software.

- Other contributors to this code are given the choice of
  assigning copyright either to Chris' company, or to the FSF,
  or to FreeDevelopers.Net, Inc.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com