[DotGNU]Needed: a decent bug tracking system

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: [DotGNU]Needed: a decent bug tracking system
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 16:17:38 +1000

At a previous company I worked for, we had a very
nice bug tracking system.  This is a call for ideas and
volunteers to build something a bit more useful to
me than Savannah's current system.

The developers and testers at that company lived in
the bug database.  It was the primary means of
communication: every issue was logged, no matter
how simple. The bug system turned into a trackable
"TODO" list for the entire project.

Unfortunately, Savannah's bug system is too primitive
to do this well.  Other systems like Bugzilla are just
plain strange (I think so anyway).  They all seem to
assume that bugs come primarily from users and
essentially go into a black hole marked "developer".

I find that 99% of my bugs come from myself: I come
across something while fixing something else, and I
need to note it down to be fixed later.  This means that
the system needs to handle continuous pounding:
dozens of new bugs crop up every day here at Pnet
Central.  There aren't enough sticky Post-It notes
in the world. :-)

If we had a better system, I could upload my mental
"TODO" list into it, and other developers would get a
better picture where they can help.  And I would stop
forgetting things. :-)

Testers would also be able to do regression on things
that I've fixed previously, even if they didn't enter the
bug originally.

If someone on the Web group wants to tackle building
a better system, then e-mail me. I started to write
something in PHP about 1.5 years ago, but didn't get
very far with it.