Re: GNU Radio 3.7 on Ubuntu 20.04

From: Johannes Demel
Subject: Re: GNU Radio 3.7 on Ubuntu 20.04
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 09:58:47 +0200

Hi all,

we all saw the Python clock [0] run out on 2020-01-01 after over 10 years.

Also, Maitland Bottoms had to add GR patches to switch from Qt4 to Qt5 for GR 3.7 even earlier to be able to get GR3.7 into newer Debian versions. Apps are not accepted to the repos if they run with Qt versions < 5.

All in all, new systems require new software. In this case GR3.8.

If you really need a GR3.7 install, this worked for me:
`sudo docker run --rm -it --net=host --env="DISPLAY" --volume="$HOME/.Xauthority:/root/.Xauthority:rw" <yourgnuradiodockercontainer>`. cf [1] At least I could open and run flowgraphs and run UHD commands. I used GR3.8 from `ppa:gnuradio` though the docker command should work as well. USB devices might be another adventure.
You probably want to set up a new container with the latest GR3.7 release.

Cheers
Johannes

[0] https://pythonclock.org/
[1] https://medium.com/@SaravSun/running-gui-applications-inside-docker-containers-83d65c0db110