gr version hell gets bigger and bigger...

From: Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras
Subject: gr version hell gets bigger and bigger...
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 12:44:09 +0100

Hi out there,

only a common remark :) I am using gnuradio for around six or seven years
now, and such issues were always present, but I never experienced them in
the extent like nowadays.

More and more I am trapped in version conflicts. Only one simple example,
for being able to use gnuradio with my gr-limesdr I need to use gr 3.7,
however a LoRaWAN project I wanted to use requires gr 3.8. In other cases
projects I wanted to use combined required even three different gr versions.

As I am not a coder, no, I can't contribute and update the projects - I am
only a user. And also I was not yet motivated enough modifying the cmake
file to fool the procedure, in the hope, it may work somehow if I simply
extend the accepted version range.

I know, this is mainly a matter of the people who maintain such
projects...and I have no idea how the awareness for this could be sharpened.

As a matter of fact, the most stuff I want to play with still loves 3.7,
even going to 3.8 breaks way too much.

Ralph.

--

Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras