RE: gr version hell gets bigger and bigger...

From: Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras
Subject: RE: gr version hell gets bigger and bigger...
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 10:47:47 +0100

Hi,

> Well, I'm coming from exactly the other side as you: GNU Radio's version hell
> is
> finally getting reduced.

Yep, always a matter of the point of view :)

> In other words, while GNU Radio was slowly withering in 3.7 lately, 3.8, after
> about six years of stability and stagnation, was a change of environment that
> was __impossible__ to not have.

Sure, no doubt. I just wonder why it takes so long this time.

> I hence have little regrets: yes, some (many) modules have not been ported
> (yet). That's too bad, but guess what: We can make zero guarantees about GNU
> Radio 3.7 even being buildable on a modern OS. For example, GNU Radio 3.7
> was kicked out of debian at one point, because the python and Qt used were no
> longer available in debian.

And from that I thought it would speed up now. But still waiting.

> needs, not us. I think they might be pretty positive if you just contact them
> and
> tell them that, hey, to use the hardware you paid for in a wide range of
> applications, you'd need them to update their GNU Radio adapter. In the end,
> it's in their best interest, and they'll definitely like knowing the
> priorities of
> their customers!

When I find some time I intend anyway contacting all maintainers of stuff that
makes problems and ask what their intentions are. Lime will follow for sure, as
it is their business selling the stuff.

> Best regards,
> Marcus

With best regards