Re: gr version hell gets bigger and bigger...

From: Sylvain Munaut
Subject: Re: gr version hell gets bigger and bigger...
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 15:35:44 +0100

Hi,

> > > I know, this is mainly a matter of the people who maintain such
> > > projects...and I have no idea how the awareness for this could be
> > > sharpened.
> >
> > Paying the maintainer usually helps.
>
> Sure, in a commercial world things work this way. In a hobbyists world
> however the projects just die :)

In the real world things work that way.
If nobody cares about those project to either pay someone to update
them or to update them themselves, they die. And that's the way it
should be. If nobody cares about those project, there is no need for
them to build or be up to date ...

Anything relying on < 3.7 is a dead project and has been for a long time.
Anything relying on 3.7 is still in the transition period (I'd say 6
month is reasonable). Either it will be updated if any body cares
enough or it will die. That's just the way life works for software.

Regards,

     Sylvain