Proper way to implement flowgraph programming

From: Lukas Haase
Subject: Proper way to implement flowgraph programming
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 22:06:32 +0100

Hello,

I have a conceptual question which has not reasonably well answered by studying
the tutorials. I work with GRC for some time now but I find it impossible to
implement simple things that require basic control logic. Clearly these things
are trivial to implement with a prcedual language (MATLAB). While I am not a
friend of LabView, it still supports these things with Loop elements, push
buttons etc.

Examples:

1.) Frequency hopping with USRP: I want to receive a signal, do some processing
and extract the phase angle from the I/Q samples. This should happen at
multiple (say, 10) different carrier frequencies. The resulting 10 phase angles
should be combined to form another signal (possibly packetized) for further
processing. What is the proper way to implement this "loop"?

2.) Calibrations: Things like phase rotation etc should be obtained, stored in
a variable and re-used when my GRC program runs in non-calibration mode. In my
example above, I would like to obtain the phases from the ten carriers at
startup. When the program runs in normal mode, these phases should be
subtracted (to calibrate constant phase shift due to RX/TX/cables etc)

What is the proper way to achieve this?

Thanks,
Luke