discuss-gnu-electric

Re: problem with busses

From: Steven Rubin
Subject: Re: problem with busses
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 08:09:36 -0700

Hello. I'm new to VLSI designing, and I'm trying to learn with Electric. I
just installed 6.03 with lesstif-0.92.29. I'm doing mainly digital
schematics for now.

The main problem right now is that I can't seem to be able to create ports
with output pin with three states: on, off and floating. The component
that should do that is "transmission gate" but I couldn't find one from
the component menu.

Electric does have transmission gates, one of the "4-port" symbols in the Analog Schematics technology.

I tried to built one from transistors (looking a model from a book), in
analog schematics, but it didn't seem to work.

One idea would be to use MUX and add two input wires to it (besides
control line), of which another is input data and another is floating.
Unfortunately, I can not use it because the simulator says:
        "ERROR: Model 'MUX2' not found, simulation aborted"
Can't muxes be used if simulation is wanted?

The simulator doesn't have models for all of the analog schematic symbols.

First I thought that the third pin in a buffer/inverter would do that but
it doesn't seem to do anything at all. What it is used for?

Many of the drawing parts in the schematics technology are just that: graphic facilities. It is up to the various tools to make use of them. Thus, a terminal may be understood and used by an output deck generator, but not by some other simulation interface. The built-in simulator is not complete in this regard, either.

I create a new facet. I insert a bus pin and create a bus by dragging from
the pin. I click the other end and Create Export "a[0:1]". Then I click
the other end and Create Export "b[0:1]". These are clearly connected,
right? When I double click on the bus, it shows Bus size 2, which is
correct.

The problem is that when I use simulator and set some values in the
another Export, the other one doesn't change. That is, I can not get
busses to work with simulator at all. What did I do wrong?

You have indeed uncovered a bug. The conversion of busses to VHDL is flawed. I will look into it.

Also, is this list dead? I've been subscribed here for couple of days but
received no mails.

Not dead, just no critical mass yet.  A few of us read it.

   -Steven Rubin